Different Kinds Of UK Taxes In 2023

tax types in UK

As a business owner, you likely know that taxes are an inevitable part of running your company. And in the UK, taxes can take on a variety of different forms—depending on your business’s specific situation. In this blog post, we will explore the different kinds of UK taxes in 2023 and how they may impact your business. We will also provide tips on how to prepare for and pay these taxes, so that you can keep your company afloat during these tough economic times.

Income Tax

Income tax is one of the most important taxes in the UK. It’s responsible for collecting money from people who earn money and sending it to the Government. There are different kinds of income tax, depending on how much money you earn. Income tax rates vary from 20% to 45%. The higher your income, the higher your rate will be. There are also different types of income tax, depending on what kind of work you do.

Taxable income includes your wages, salary, tips, commissions, bonuses and other forms of earnings. You may also have to pay income tax on any capital gains or profits made from selling assets such as shares or property. There are a number of ways to reduce or avoid paying income tax. One way is to use a pension scheme to save for your retirement. Another is to invest in a Isa account for children or grandchildren. You can also reduce your taxable income by claiming deductions or credits available to you.

Corporation Tax

1. Corporation tax is an important tax in the UK and it helps to fund public services.

2. Corporation tax is different from income tax and VAT, which are both types of tax that people pay on their income.

3. Corporation tax is based on a company’s taxable profits, which means that it applies to businesses that make money from doing business.

4. There are several different ways of calculating corporation tax, depending on the company’s size and how active its business is.

5. Corporation tax can be payable by a company either as an annual charge or as a percentage of its taxable profits.

6. The rates of corporation tax vary depending on the company’s level of activity and where it is located within the UK.

7. Corporation tax was introduced in 1915 as a way of helping to finance the war effort, and has since become one of the UK’s main sources of revenue.


There are many different kinds of taxes in the United Kingdom, each with its own set of rules and regulations. This article discusses some of the most common taxes in the UK, including income tax, VAT (value-added tax), property tax, and stamp duty.

Income tax is the primary source of government revenue in the UK. Taxpayers pay income tax according to their income levels, with a progressive system that starts at low levels and increases as earnings increase. There are also various credits and deductions available to help lower-income taxpayers meet their obligations.

VAT is a type of sales tax that applies to most goods and services purchased in the UK. It is collected by the seller and added to the price of products sold. VAT is considered an indirect tax, meaning that it is paid by consumers rather than producers.

Property tax is one of the main sources of revenue for local governments in the UK. Property owners must pay property tax based on their share of ownership or use of a property, typically calculated as a percentage of its value. Properties located in designated development areas (DDA) may be exempt from some or all property taxes.

Stamp duty is a type of taxation levied on documents such as deeds, mortgages, and title certificates. Stamp duty is assessed at different rates depending on the value of the document being taxed.

NICs ( National Insurance Contributions )

There are a number of different taxes that you might pay in the United Kingdom, depending on your income and circumstances. The main taxes that UK residents pay are National Insurance Contributions (NICs), Income Tax, and Capital Gains Tax.

National Insurance Contributions (NICs) are taxes that you pay into a national insurance scheme in order to receive benefits such as State Pension or unemployment benefits. You make NICs on all of the income that you earn, even if you don’t take any of the benefits. You also have to pay NICs if you’re self-employed.

Income Tax is a tax that you pay on your income. This includes your salary, pension payments, dividends, and other taxable income. Income Tax is split between the UK government and your local council.

Capital Gains Tax is a tax that you pay on the profits that you make from selling or buying assets such as shares, property, or cars. Capital Gains Tax is split between the UK government and your local council.

Inheritance Tax

If you’re inheriting money or property from a relative or parent, you may have to pay inheritance tax. Inheritance tax is a tax on the inheritance of money, property, or other assets. It applies to people who are in England and Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

The amount of inheritance tax that you have to pay will depend on the value of your inheritance. The basic rate of inheritance tax is 40%. If the value of your inheritance is more than £325,000 (or €405,000), you will have to pay 45% of the total value of your inheritance. Any increase in value above these levels will result in an additional 5% charge on top. There is also a £1m (€1.6m) lifetime exemption for individuals and a £5m (€7.2m) exemption for couples.

If you’re not resident in England and Wales, there are special rules which apply to inheritances received by people who are resident outside the UK but married to someone who is resident in England and Wales. These rules are explained in more detail below.

If you’re not UK resident but want to take advantage of any UK-based Inheritance Tax exemptions available to you as a foreigner married to a UK citizen or national (including British Nationals Overseas), please consult an attorney or financial advisor as soon as possible – failing to do so could lead to complications down the road if/when those exemptions run out “


The Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax levied on the value of goods and services sold in the UK. There are several types of VAT, including:

A basic rate of 20% applies to most goods and services.

There is also a higher rate of 25%, which applies to certain items such as luxury goods, food and alcohol, and some services.

Finally, there is the zero rate, which applies to some essential food items and books.

Landlord Tax Planning

1. Landlord Tax Planning

Landlords may be wondering about their potential tax liabilities. Here are some tips for landlords tax planning to help them plan for their taxes:

Income Taxes: There are various income taxes that landlords may be liable for, including UK Income Tax (UK IT), National Insurance Contributions (NICs), and Corporation Tax. It is important to keep accurate records of all sources of income, profits, and expenses so that you can accurately calculate your total taxable income.

Pensions and Retirement Income: If a landlord receives pension or retirement income from a tenant, they will likely have to pay UK Social Security contributions on that income. If the tenant pays any of the rent into a pension or retirement account, the landlord will also have to report that income on their tax return.

Property Taxes: All landlords must pay property taxes on their rental properties, although this varies depending on the jurisdiction in which the property is located. It is important to keep up-to-date records of all bills and deductions related to property taxes so that you can accurately reflect those amounts on your tax return. Some common deductions include mortgage interest payments, repairs/maintenance costs, and insurance premiums.

If you have any questions about your specific tax obligations as a landlord, it is best to speak with an accountant or tax specialist.


Hopefully, this article has given you a better understanding of the different types of UK taxes that will be in place in 2023. Whether you are looking to save money or plan your finances for the future, it is important to be aware of all the taxes that might apply to you. Be sure to consult an accountant or tax specialist if you have any questions about what your specific situation entails.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.